Friday, September 11, 2009

Alfred and Ender Reunite

This essay is about two character from two different book that meet in one setting that is in one of the books. The books I read are, Enders Game and The Contender and the characters I chose are: Ender, from Enders Game and Alfred, from The Contender. This will be narrated by: Mr. Epstein from The Contender. He is the owner of the store where Alfred works. The setting in this book is New York City. This is where Alfred from the Contender lives.

I watched as Alfred left the store for the night Friday and knew I wouldn’t see him until Monday morning when his weekend was over. He looked as though he were anxious for the weekend. When I asked him why he told me his friend was coming from out of town to watch him box. The next morning when I was going for my morning walk I saw Alfred waiting at the bus stop. Then up came I bus and a young man about the age of Alfred got off. The two boys shook hands and I could see that they seemed to have a lot in common. First off the boys both looked like they had compassion. But they also looked as though they liked too fight. As I walked by I herd them talking. “Hey Ender. Long time no see. What have you been up to lately?” said Alfred. “Yea I know Alfred, and nothing. Same old.” Then they left and started walking towards Alfred’s house in New York City.

When I saw Alfred next he was with Ender and he was showing him Donatelli’s Gym. I was there helping out and talking to Donatelli. I like going to the gym. I get to see who I think is going to be the next great champ and get Donitellis opinion on who he thinks it will be. “I come and train here every night after work,” said Alfred. “well by the looks of it, it seems like you work hard here training. You’re a lot stronger since the last time I saw you,” said Ender. “yea but I don’t think you need to get any stronger, seeing as you beat a kid to death when u were only 6 years old,” said Alfred. “hey. You know that kid was a bully and I was protecting myself,” said Ender. “whatever you say man,” said Ender. Then Alfred went and showed them around the rest of the gym. When they were back they were looking in the ring and nobody was fighting in it. Then Alfred said, “ Hey. Mr. Donatelli can Ender come to my next fight?” “yeah sure Alfred he can hang out with Spoon and Jelly by the ring while me and Henry help you,” said Mr. Donatelli.


So before the next match Ender went to Spoon’s house with Henry and Ender just like he always does. But Alfred always eats early so he can digest it. Then while he took his nap Spoon, his wife Betty, Henry, and Ender ate. Then Donatelli picked them all up. All too soon the fight came and Alfred was in the ring against a quick fighter named Griffin. After a while in the match Griffin gets tired of moving so fast so he slows down. But he slowed down too much because Alfred was able to dodge a punch then hit him right in the jaw. Griffin dropped at that punch. And Alfred won by K.O. he felt really bad though because Griffin seemed to really get hurt. Ender was the first to go up to him and congratulate him. But he seemed to really enjoy the thought that Griffin might have gotten hurt bad. “did u hear it him u popped him in the jaw!” said Ender. But Alfred didn’t want to hear it. He felt bad about it.

The next day Ender had to leave to go home. “well it was nice seeing you and I’m glad you enjoyed the fight last night. You really ought to come to the city more. We never get to hang.” said Alfred. “nice seeing you too, and perfect punch. I just hope I never get hit with that! And yeah ill try too,” said Ender. “Well bye Ender,” said Alfred. “Yeah bye Alfred,” said Ender. Then as the bus pulled up the two boys shook hands. Ender got on and the bus pulled away.

2 comments:

  1. I thought that the story was very well written and focused on the topic. I also liked the way you started it off with Alred at the bus stop. I also thuoght it was pretty disciptive.
    I thought the dialogue was realistic and authentic which madde the story alot better. Also, Ender says he liked the punch Alred threw. And It was interesting to hear what Ender had to say which made me want to keep reading.
    My favorite part was when Ender said I punched that kid in the face when he was six years old. I thought that that was pretty funny. Also, when Alfred punches his oppenet in the jaw to hear it crack. That was my favorite part in the story.
    Something I would change is the ending, because it was to breif and quick. Also, Ender andalfred should have more time together and be more disciptive about what Alfred and Ender did together. zzthat is what I would change.

    ReplyDelete